14 September 2007

Back In the Saddle...

I arrived here at the school, but it was definitely a harder trip than it had to be. I almost missed my connect from Philly to München (ah! üäö!!!) and then when I got there, my luggage didn't. So I have been living without baggage for two days. Then I got on the S-Bahn to München Hauptbahnhof on an ICE train. Alone. I was impressed with myself, but rather lonely. Then I sat by some really nice old German men. When I got off to make it to my connect, however, I found out that my train was like, an hour late. So I asked someone (a German, who should have known the train system) which one to connect with and they told me the wrong one! Lame. So now I was in some weird little hodunk train station in Germany, already an hour and a half behind schedule and with no idea where to go. I asked another person then and they told me ANOTHER wrong train. Thanks dude. So I was on one late train, two wrong trains, and 2.5 hours late before I finally arrived in Lindau, the city where I was supposed to meet my new buddy Jennifer. Before I could get to the hotel, however I had to find a taxi in a deserted part of town with a freshly-dead cellphone. That was an adventure. Basically I just started walking and hopedHopedHOPED that I would run into someone who knew what they were talking about. Eventually I ran into a taxi man (slash car :-) ) but then the ride to the hotel costed more Euros than I actually had. I must have looked like I was about to die or something though because the driver said he would do it for whatever I had. Vielen dank Herr Taxidriver! So after a lovely taxi ride across town, I finally made it to Jennifer and our hotel. Gottseidank.

Today went much more smoothly though! I woke up nice and refreshed, ate a nice continental breakfast of German fare (bread, cheese, fruit), and showered! (After my 36-hour day, this was much-needed) Then we hopped on a taxi, a train, and a bus, and were picked up at the bushaltestelle (bus stop) by some Bodenseehof people! Yay!

I have officially been at school for 3 hours and am very comfortable, if only slightly tired. I am in a room with only 4 girls instead of 10 (woohoo! this will be VERY beneficial to Lorraine's sleep habits!) but have only met one of my roommates so far...her name is Elisabeth (Lizzy) and she is from Austria and she is lovely! We seem to get along really well so far...introverted, love to laugh, are dreading all the school work we are about to start...y'know...so so far everything is good!

I love you all and miss you too!!!!!!!

P.S. I'll post a picture or something as soon as I take one :-)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Lorraine I am so sorry that you had to go through all that!It sounds like quite the hassle and I am proud of you for persisting and finally getting to the school! I am SOOOO glad that you are comfortable where you are right now, I have certainly been thinking about you a lot these past couple days... You brave traveler you!
And it's also wonderful that you only have to share a room with three other girls, I know I would be super happy about that. And an Australian roomate?!? That's really cool. You'll have to come back with her accent. :-) But does that mean that the rooms are smaller too? How is your room situated anyway? And how does the quilt look?
Oh, and what classes are you going to take? I know I asked you about this earlier, but I am thinking you might have a better idea about that by now...

Unknown said...

Sicherlich ist reisen viel schwieriger ohne Deutsche freunde. Gut zu hören daß alles jetzt gut ist. Es tut mir leid daß ich habe dich nicht gesehen vor du bist weg gegangen (du warst nicht zur Schule Montag nachmittag wie du hast gesagt. aber was kann man machen?)
Ich hoffe daß alles geht sehr gut für dich im Deutschland und ich wünsche dich viel spaß. Wenn du gehst nach München und unsere Deutsche freunde siehst dann bitte sagt hallo für mich. Ich beneide dich, ich habe so viel sehnsucht nach Deutschland.

Glück!

Anonymous said...

hi all
http://www.tor.com/community/users/vorszilheter1979
http://www.tor.com/community/users/forraligo1981
http://www.tor.com/community/users/mentiocrothumph1979
http://www.tor.com/community/users/qinnerafa1979
http://www.tor.com/community/users/tiawinghowdi1981