22 May 2007


Well, my friends, it is a new day. It is one I have spent with a gurgling stomach and slight hunger pains. This may, possibly, be due to the fact that I have not eaten all day. Because I have not had the time to eat breakfast, the cash to go out to lunch, or the wheels to get me to the grocery store now. Despite these slightly gut-wrenching circumstances, I find myself not only content and contemplative, but also slightly disappointed. In myself, that is. You see, earlier when I said I hadn't eaten anything, I lied a little bit. I have eaten today. Nothing I have paid for, but still, a donut and a jolly rancher count. Honestly, I didn't even notice the donut sliding down my throat. My mission wasn't on the forefront. I wasn't dwelling on it. I didn't even notice I had eaten it until after school. Then, whaddya know, I get home, walk straight to the jar of jolly ranchers. Reach in, not thinking in the least, and pop a nice, red, sweet, entirely-unavailable-to-the-poverty-stricken, cherry candy into my mouth. Then I realized, felt guilty, and spit it out.

Honestly, that's where I'm at. I feel guilty. Like I didn't even care enough to remember that those things are off limits until June. Luckily, I really do care and decided to do a little quiet time. So I grabbed my reading material, lit the incense, and this is what I have found:


"When things don't go as you would like, accept it immediately. If you indulge in feelings of regret, they can easily spill over the line into resentment. Remember that I am sovereign over your circumstances, and humble yourself under My mighty hand. Rejoice in what I am doing in your life, even though it is beyond your understanding." -Jesus Calling, by Sarah Young

In response to Matthew 26:6-13 and Deuteronomy 15:1-11
Why is the Bible so seemingly contradictory? In Matthew Jesus says that we need to attend to his worship. I'm all for this. But THEN, he also says thatwe should hard core take care of the poor so that there will be no poor people left. Then, he continues to confuse me by saying that there will always be poor people. So we're supposed to help them so there will be no more left...but at the same time we're supposed to do this with the knowledge that it's a sort of futile mission? These two viewpoints first argue that the world should strive to defeat poverty and then claim that no matter what, our mission can never be accomplished. Sounds like Mission Impossible to me...

I know it's the right thing to do to help the poor. Even if it is a futile mission. So in obedience to God, we have to just try our best anyway. This is DEFINITELY against human nature. I don't know about all y'all, but I'm not a big fan of throwing away my time, energy, and money. I guess it's just one of the parts about following Jesus that we don't have to understand, just follow through with.

3 comments:

Brownieshere said...

Wow, Lorraine

You are awsome, and very strong...
this must be a super hard thing to do, but showing your love in such a way would blow away the less poverty people suffering in this world. people really do take there lifes for granted, and i realized this when Sunday may 13, i had to prep for a Colonostipy, meaning no food, only liquids, for 36hours nothing to eat, and then for me to only eat 1 suddle meal on the 14th. Then after the procedure, for me to wakeup in major pain, and unable to relieve the pressure built up in my intestines. went to the hospital, and by then i hadn't eaten for 12hours, and arrive back at home around 3pm but by the time i got home, i was either allergic to the medicine they gave me or my hungry stomach couldn't handle it, and i was puking all day, so didn't eat anything on the 15th. By then i was really pondering to god, wonder how do people more fortunate, let the less fortunate starve, and live the way they do. something should really be done, and i hope it does, and i guess it slowly it is... then on the 16 i watched "Blood diamond" which really stood out to me, how its pretty much based of true stories, and how 200,000 kids are soliders fighting against there OWN country for what because someone chose there life, and cause its a better life than the people there killing, when we all know that there to young to understand, and havn't felt the hand of god in their lifes.. i surely hope we GODS people can get to every man, and woman on this earth before its to late, and You Lorraine are an amazing Christian... I do think you will touch many men and women and i admire you for that, i wish i could be as strong as you in christ, and i hope one day i will be as strong as you... well i hope all goes well and that you follow your heart, knowning GOD has you going the right way = )

I miss seeing you, i should prolly start attending church more, im sad to say but i havn't bee there in quite some time = (

Sincerely
James

Matt Martinson said...

Well? What's happening with all of this? Are you still doing it?

Samuel Hathaway said...

I think you are on the right track, Lorraine! We are to obey the will of God regardless of whether we understand it or not. The bible is full of those apparent contradictions (i.e. God's control over our lives placed aside our responsibility for our actions), but they simply draw our eyes up to the awesomeness of God. Our minds cannot hold Him! He is unfathomable! We are simply called to obey His will, trusting Him to accomplish it. On our own we accomplish nothing. God simply allows us to join Him as He and He alone accomplishes His will. What a privilige to serve alongside the Creator!

Blessings on your journeys, geographical and spiritual.