21 May 2007

The Mutunga Challenge


Hey there everyone. Recently I have decided to take a 10-day challenge to sort of put myself in the shoes of those living in poverty around the world. Since the average person in this type of situation lives on only $2 each day or less, that's what I'll be doing. My formal commitment is further down the page. So if I see you any time from May 22-June 1, please don't offer to make me some lunch or buy me dinner. I am taking this seriously because it's very serious for those who live like this all the time. If they don't take everything seriously, they die of starvation. I have decided to also include driving in my little escapade. The only time I will be driving is on my communte to and from school. The way I see it, if you can't afford to eat, then you definitely can't afford to drive. I'll be posting blogs daily full of my thoughts, ideas, feelings, etc. Hopefully this can at least make you think a little bit about life in places and situations less fortunate than your own. I know it will certainly force me to. Also, the site I was referenced to is www.msainfo.org. That's the main site which explains the "Mutunga Challenge" (which is the formal, original name, ps). Check it out if you feel so inspired.



I, Lorraine Fast, commit to spending only $2 per day on food for a ten-day span of time. In addition, I will not drive my car, or anyone else’s, unless it is absolutely necessary. This entails only driving to and from school each day. I am basing these decisions on the grounds that people living in poverty around the world live on even smaller daily budgets, commonly don’t drive at all, and have no way to remove themselves from these situations.

1 comment:

Matt Martinson said...

Awesome. Good luck!